Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday Truth

"Then, turning to His disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear.  For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing.  Look at the ravens.  They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds!  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?"
--  Luke 12:22-25 (New Living Translation)



This is short and sweet - I just need a simple reminder to let go of my worries.  They range from small to large and at times easily overtake my day.  True to my "Type A-ness," I love to make lists.  You know why?  Because a "to-do" list -- with appropriately checked off things -- means that I am in control.  I like to be in control.  I *really* like to be in control.  When things go haywire and I'm not in control, my fuse is lit.  How quickly do my nerves glow and how quickly do I forget about my Soverign God who has already written the days in the story of me. 

I subscribe to a Christian blog about children in poverty through Compassion International.  Today, Tuesday April 5th, they are hosting a national campaign to raise awareness of children in poverty..."One Day Without Shoes."  This campaign urges people to think through their day, moment by moment, and think of it spent without shoes.  Something as simple and ordinary as shoes that I so often take for granted.  We have had a wet and rainy "liquid sunshine" Florida kinda day here.  As I dressed my children and myself this morning and stepped out the door into a downpour of rain, I quickly remembered the "One Day Without Shoes" project and my mind shifted at that moment.  What if my children -- and myself -- had no shoes to wear on a day like today...or any day for that matter?  Immediately I am humbled and reminded of God's hand of provision on our lives.  A reminder that regardless of the number in my bank account, I am richly and lavishly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment