Friday, January 14, 2011

Thursday Thought

(yes, I'm aware today's not Thursday, it's Friday... A day late and a dollar short - that's me!)

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—
He who watches over you will not slumber;
Indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep."


Ever finding yourself needing a hand?  Whether it be in a spiritual sense or more physically needing help to meet certain commitments, we are all needy.  No matter how I try to psych myself up that I'm "Super Woman" who wears all these different hats (or capes, so to speak), on my own I'm just plain helpless. 

This psalm suggests the writer is climbing and truly in need of help.  And in this fallen world, every day is a climb.  No doubt I may start my day off on the right foot, but on my own, I'm doomed for failure...at least by God's standards. 

I read a beautifully written and moving blog post yesterday by Ann at A Holy Experience  that (yet again) encourages me to make the most of every and every moment.  (I should add that I read this at 7:00 a.m. and was not prepared for tears at that of the morning - it moved me.) 

All too often, I find myself begrudgingly forcing myself through the crazy amount of mundane tasks that comprise my day-to-day life.  And unfortunately, at the end of the day, I fall into bed not feeling accomplished, but feeling guilty.  Guilty that I let another precious day go by simply going through the motions, keeping up with the erratic pace of life.  Overwhelmed by the simple fact that I will never get that day back again.  Never be able to relive the giggles and kisses of my babies or the embrace of my husband.  And instead of feeling accomplished at a productive day, I'm weary...inside and out. 

How can I change this?  With a little (okay, a lot of) help from Above. 

Sounds simple right?  And the Truth is, it is simple. 

In describing her day, Ann brings to mind this act of simplicity...

"I do the next thing and begin picking up what is everywhere, the leftover peelings of bandages, the balloons one little girl keeps blowing up everywhere, one of her hair bows. I realize: One day and soon, I will not be gathering up bandage, balloons, bows. Bandages. Balloons. Bows. I laugh happy! All this glorious mess! We’re here! A house reflects the pursuit of living!"

How true and how simple.  By simply readjusting her mindset from one extreme to the other, that begrudging attitude becomes an attitude of grattitude.  And other thought comes to my mind as I apply Ann's words to my life:  "This too shall pass." 

So grateful for the Holy Spirit to encourage me to shift my focus from the 20 things around me that are just going all wrong, to the 20,000 things that are in place and just right
That's grace.




No comments:

Post a Comment