Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Who Am I?

"O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
You known when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I'm far away.
You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
even before I say, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!

I can never escape from Your Spirit!
I can never get away from Your presence!
If I go up to heaven, You are there;
if I go down to the grave, You are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there Your hand will guide me,
and Your strength will support me.
I could ask the darkness to hide me
and the light around me to become night--
but even in darkness I cannot hide from You.
To You the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to you.

You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in Your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

How prescious are Your thoughts about me, O God.
They cannot be numbered!
I can't even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
You are still with me!
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends You,
and lead me along the patch of everlasting life."
-- Psalm 139:1-12, 16-18, 23-24

It's been a crazy past month or so here in our little world and I keep coming back to this passage.  Always so guilty to become a grouch when things are a tad too hectic, I need this passage to bring me back to earth.  The world does not revolve around me, sadly.  I am blessed beyond measure--more than I could ever name--and when things go awry, being the human that I am, I quickly lose sight of those blessings.  This passage reminds me of how small I am and how great my God is and I most definitely don't give Him enough credit.  Brings to mind the simple words of a newly-added iPod favorite:  "Who am I that You are mindful of me? That you hear me when I call?  Who am I that You are thinking of me? That You love me?"

That being said, I've committed to cement this passage into my ever-fading memory so that I can recall it instantly in those times that get the best of me.  I'm a work in progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment