Friday, September 17, 2010

Flashback Friday

I had a difficult time deciding where in my life to start with "Flashback Friday" entries, so I decided to start from the beginning.  Makes sense, huh?

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be." 

Wow, all I can say is W.O.W.  My favorite part of this passage is the end, "all of my days were writtin your book before one of them came to be."  My God -- that amazing God who spoke the earth and everything that fills it into motion -- knows me.  Little ole stinky sinful me.  He knows me and He loves me the same.  Wow.

So, let's start at the beginning.  Though I am in love with my little life right now, Mommy-hood is but a chapter in the story of me.  Since I became a Mama, God has opened my eyes to his indescribeable love for me.  That same overwhelming, all-encompassing pride and adoration and joy and love I feel for my babies?  That's how God feels about me.  Wow.


November 2, 1983 - Susan Diane Harris


Two Weeks Old - November 1983

Everyone knows all newborns look a little strange. 
Don't let the pictures fool you; I get way cuter.  :)


The day I became a Mama - June 21, 2006 - Harrison Reid Chapman

It makes me so happy to look back at these "in the hospital" pictures.  Leading up to labor and delivery, I remember being quite frank with folks about not wanting any post-birth pictures of me and my new baby until I had some makeup on.  After my first sight of this little miracle, all that was out the window.  My face was flushed from labor and my eyes were red and puffy from tears of joy and I didn't care one bit. 

I was so proud -- of him and of myself.  (Hello?  I just made a person!)  It's just funny how these are some of my favorite photos.  Just a glimpse takes me right back to the sticky, muggy June morning when my life changed.  No doubt that every other mother on this planet feels the same. 

I can remember after recovery from the labor, Justin and the baby went to the nursery for the pediatrician to do their thing.  It was a good two hours.  I can so vividly remember waiting in the post-natal suite and Justin walked in.  The nurse followed him pushing a little cart with that a perfect bundle of sweetness.  She said to me, "Mrs. Chapman, I have your baby."  Her words stopped my heart.  My baby.  Wow.  The remainder of that day was filled with friends and family visiting and laughter and tears of joy.  I was reluctant to let others hold him at first; after all, he was my baby.  For hours and hours Justin and I would just sit and look at him.  We'd unwrap him and look at his legs and feet and hands.  Then we'd wrap him back up and look at his face and ears.  Over and over...unwrapping and rewrapping.  We were smitten.

Even after Brigdon came along, I can remember being amazed at the wonder of birth and smitten with him all over again.  I will admit - I am a sucker for newborns, whether they're mine or someone elses.  So innocent and perfect.  Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment