Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tuesday Truth

"The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Like many people, I cannot make it through a single run (or even a walk or a ride on the lawn mower) without my iPod and some good tunes.  Even when set to "shuffle," song after song pushes me.  These are times when I vent my struggles, hashing them out in mind.  Or sometimes I just focus on the words in the music.  Or sometimes I think nothing at all and let my mind freely wander.  One song in particular is "Everlasting God," which is a popular worship song done by many different singers; my favorite being Lincoln Brewster.  This song starts out with strong guitar and the first line of the song "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord" gets me moving every time. 

I can take this literally (most of the time I actually do need strength to make it through my run), or I can keep these words in my head and apply them to other less-temporal obstacles.  Amazing how a single song can evoke an emotion or bring back a memory.

Are you needing some strength? 

Think on the scripture above.  God's word says "Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105), and I am confident that when these truths are written on our hearts, the words will sink in and mend when our hearts break. 


"Everlasting God"

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,

wait upon the Lord, we will wait upon the Lord.
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,
wait upon the Lord, we will wait upon the Lord.
Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our strong deliverer.

You are the everlasting God,
The everlasting God.
You do not faint,
You won't grow weary.


You're the defender of the weak,
You comfort those in need,
You lift us up on wings like eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment