Monday, April 5, 2010

Roots

So I spent my entire Saturday outside doing yardwork. We moved to our new place back in September, but then the holidays, a new baby, and an insanely cold winter has delayed my getting any landscape done. No more! Warm, sun-filled days are here.

My green-thumbed mother-in-law and I (non green-thumbed) set out Thursday afternoon for a trip to the nursery. We came home with all my truck bed would hold. Ended up making another trip Saturday morning for another truck full. Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me getting those things in the ground. Daddy and Harrison had "boy time" plans already, so I was on my own.

As I got started working, something occured I hadn't planned for. Roots -- lots and lots of roots making it most difficult to dig appropriate holes for my shrubs. I guess that part of living in the woods. These darn roots had turned a job that should've only taken 2 to 3 hours into an all-day event. What's amazing though, is how much easier it was to dig the holes after I had chopped out the roots. Even more amazing is that my God was teaching me such a simple lesson right there. I felt him say, "You know, Sue, if you chopped out the garbage (AKA roots) in your life, do you know how much easier it be for Me to make you fruitful??"

I said in my first post that God teaches me a lot through moments with my boys. Here I was all by myself, covered in sweat and dirt, and God's teaching me. I'm a work in progress for sure!

Needless to say, after that moment I enjoyed my day much more. It was the most beautiful day and I was blessed to be spending it outside in His creation doing something I love. It just took that little reality check to get me in the right mind-set. God has a way of doing that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment