Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome Claire-Bear!

"For You created my innermost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." --Psalm 139:13-14
This week has brought family the wonderful blessing of a new bundle of joy. Claire Elizabeth Higginbotham was born Thursday, April 22 weighing 8 pounds 12 ounces. You know her Aunt Sue could not wait for her arrival. I actually think I was more anxious than that baby's Mama. I've said it before and I will say it again....I am a sucker for newborns. Whether they belong to me or to someone else, you may as well slap it on my forehead. Is there anything sweeter than a brand new baby? Pure and innocent, without a care in the world. Claire was born to Justin's sister Jenna and her husband Bryan, and she is obviously already well-loved.

Proud Aunt Sue also had fun being caretaker to Claire's big brother Tyler. Anyone who knows my Harrison, knows that he just adores his cousin Tyler. They are only 11 months apart and often mistaken for brothers...even twins sometimes. Those boys can be together for hours upon hours and then be apart for even only a little while, but when they get back together, it's like a family reunion. You would think they hadn't seen each other in months! With that being said, I believe Harrison was most excited about having Tyler spend a few days with him than the fact that he was getting a new cousin. At first he thought Tyler was only spending one night over. The look on his face was priceless when I told him the next day that Tyler was sleeping over another night!

When I put them to bed that first night, Harrison went into this bed like usual and Tyler slept in the "drawer." (This is the trundle under Harrison's bed...he calls it "the drawer.") It was late and they were both sleepy. I was sitting in the other room in front of my computer working late. I had to stop and smile when I heard them in Harrison's room. It sounded something like this...A whisper and then another whisper and then another whisper and then giggles and then a "shhhh!" I really should've gotten up and snapped a photo, but I didn't want to disturb them.
Anyway, the next afternoon after baby Claire was born, we made a trip to the hospital to meet her. Big brother Tyler was a little stand-off-ish at first, but I remembered that when my Brigdon was born, he acted very similarly. Just a little slow to warm up. I think babies -- newborns at that -- are a little strange to small kids. It will take no time for him to warm up to his baby sister. I have the feeling he will be a good lil helper. Harrison, on the other hand, very muchly surprised me. He quickly wanted to see her and kiss her and pat her on the head. He even got to hold her! I can see it now...both those boys will be so protective of her when they all get to high school. She will not have a chance!
I remember after my Brigdon was born that Harrison was all of a sudden so grown up to me. It actually broke my heart. In only the few days that I didn't spend with him while we were at the hospital, it was as if he had grown into a boy, not my baby anymore. Sitting in the hospital room yesterday, that feeling came over me again and I actually said to Harrison (with him in my lap), "It seems like I was just in the hospital birthing you." I think it takes becoming a mother to realize just how quickly time slips away. Even now, I sometimes look at him playing outside or asleep in his bed and I think...He is so big...His feet are big...His arms are big...and it takes my breath away. Even right now as I type this, tears are streaming down my face. It's like now I have this new perfect tiny baby to compare Harrison to and he wasn't a "baby" anymore -- He was this big kid who suddenly seemed like he was grown and maybe didn't need his Mama so much. Such is life.

Now to what you all wanna see...pictures! Her Aunt Sue is already smitten. I have project after project in my head to make for her. She's already got a growing collection of hairbows and frilly things and I will do my best to add to that collection as often as I can!

Congratulations Jenna, Bryan, Kalea and Tyler! We love you!


Aunt Sue loves you!


Big Brother Tyler (on the right) loves you!

Cousin Harrison loves you!


Welcome to the world

No comments:

Post a Comment