Monday, November 15, 2010

Bountiful Blessings - Day 15

Today, I'm grateful for technology.  I know, I know, it sounds silly.  But I'm happy that technology makes my life easier. 

The ease of internet (especially wireless internet) and a portable laptop gives me the ability not only to work from home, but to work on my back porch on a sunny afternoon or to work in my big warm bed on cold nights. 

That same internet and laptop enable me to keep us this little blog, which is something I love to do and something my children will be grateful I took the time to do.

Email and Facebook (yes, even Facebook) gives me the ability reconnect and stay in touch with friends from childhood and from high school that I've lost contact with.  It also helps me stay connected with family who don't live close by. 

Not to say that all technology is helpful, but you have to take the bad with the good.  Knowing the bad and keeping yourself in check is what's important -- it's too easy to fall into a pit where our "computer time" becomes an idol.  An idol?  Anything that comes before the Lord is an idol.  So, yes, an idol.

I have struggled with this just from something simple as my cell phone.  Not to say I'm not grateful for my little iPhone and all the ways it makes my life easier, but there was a point where I was finding myself constantly checking my phone.  I had to make it a point to either turn my phone off or just put it in my bag and leave it there.  After a few days of that, I didn't struggle so much. 

So, put down your phone, close up your computer and go love on your babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment