Monday, November 15, 2010

Bountiful Blessings - Days 14

**Yet again, Day 14 was Sunday and didn't catch the Bountiful Blessings, so it's combined with today.

Bountiful Blessings - Day 14

"And God spoke all these words:...Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy."


I'm grateful for Sunday.  That single day of the week especially made for rest, refreshment and reflection.  God's Word specifically says to set aside this day for worship and for rest.  Even God rested on the seventh day after six days of creation. 

The excerpt above is taken from the Ten Commandments, commandment number 4 actually.  I cannot say that I've always remembered the Sabbath day and kept it holy.  Too often in my hurried life, I find myself spending my Sunday "catching up" rather than devoting it to the Lord.  If it's not real work, it's a long list of housework, outside chores, and projects needing to be finished that take over my precious time. 

I really struggle with laying those things aside - Sadly, I have to force myself to rest. 

What have we become when our very Creator commands us to do something seemingly so easy, but we bluntly do the opposite? 

That being said, every Sunday is a fresh start to make it right.  I know from experience that my week goes so much smoother when I truly take a day and devote it to worship and rest.  It makes my heart happy to roll out of bed and start my day at church.  It makes me feel even better to end my day at church.  A long nap in between is just icing on the cake! 

So, take a minute today and thank God for giving us Sunday.  Then make it a point to give yourself a "time out" next Sunday and devote it to rest. 

I sure am.

No comments:

Post a Comment