Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bountiful Blessings Day 17

(I know, I know...a day behind.  Yesterday was exhausting, so I'm catching up yet again.)

Two days ago, I wrote that I am grateful for answered prayer.  Today, I'm grateful for unanswered prayer. 

It comes as no surprise to many that my Type A, OCD-ish personality likes to be in control.  Well, truthfully, loves to be in control.  And when I'm not in control, it's not pretty.  So, in my futile attempts to control everything -- my job, husband, children, family members, friends, and sadly even my God -- I've prayed over it all.  BUT, not in the humble and reverent spirit God calls me to have, but more of that ugly "do it my way God" spirit.  I'll say it again - It's not pretty. 

Looking back at particular situations, it makes me laugh that at the time I actually thought I was doing God a favor.  Like just maybe He didn't see all aspects of the situation like I did.  Seriously?  We're talking the same God who "has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand...and with the breadth of His hand marked off the heavens...who has held the dust of the earth in a basket...and weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance."  (Isaiah 40:12)

Though those situations cause me to spontaneously chuckle as I look back, it's also another lesson in humbless.  The plain and simple fact that as best as I try...
I.  Am.  Not.  In.  Control.  Period. 

That being said, I am grateful for those unanswered prayer.  Times when God saw through my foolishness (yet again) and took the higher road...literally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment