Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bountiful Blessings - Day 20

Day 20 already??  So it is.


Today, I'm grateful for night shift.  And please know, it has taken me a long while to come to terms with night shift and -- therefore -- be grateful for it.

As many of you know, my husband works a night shift and has been doing so for nearly 2 years.  This was something he (or should I say, "we") wanted to do.  He knew in order to be promoted out of his prior position, it would require him putting in some time on the night shift.  The first 4 months or so weren't bad.  Brig wasn't born yet, so it was just me and Harrison and we quickly got into our own little groove during the week.  Then more months came and Brig was born and I was slammed with the sheer exhaustion that is taking care of two kids (one of which was only days old) by myself.  Justin would come home in the morning and go right to bed.  It seemed like he'd wake up in enough time to eat supper and then be gone again.  Never have I felt so alone and in desperate need of a break than during those early months.  But eventually, the three of us got into a new groove and each day was easier.  Now, we're to the point that it's nothing.  Though, I will say that by the time Friday rolls around, I am SO happy to greet it because it means the end of Justin's work week and three precious days that he's all ours. 

Fast-forward to today... 

It's obvious to see that my love/hate attitude towards this night shift thing has come a long way.  I can see through the "what were we thinking?" part and realize we did what was right for our family (and it won't be forever...hopefully).  In comparison to the majority of fathers who work standard 9-to-5 hours, Justin's night shift enables him to spend more quality time during the day with our boys than those with "banker's hours."  No, he's not there for hectic cranky bath/bedtime routine, but he spends hours with them in the afternoon that's true quality time...whether it be playing outside, walking in the woods, or messing around in the garage.  AND the best part is that he has 3 whole days off every weekend. 

In the beginning, I dealt with night shift by tellling myself it was better than him having no shift, but now I'm actually to the point where I'm grateful for it.  It may sound odd to others, but it works for us.  Not to say, I won't be grateful with night shift isn't a part of our lives any longer...

In due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment